R.I.P. Marcus Borg

The past few days, my Facebook page has overflowed with sadness and tributes to a theologian and New Testament scholar who died on Wednesday--Marcus Borg.  Borg was Canon Theologian at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, and prior to retirement was Chair of Religion and Culture at Oregon State University.
    He was a prolific author, teacher, and speaker.  I have read most of his books and used them in adult formation through the years. His work was not without controversy. Those Christians who hold closely to the traditions of the church as well as evangelicals who interpret scripture in a literal fashion, have discounted Borg's progressive views, including his work with the Jesus Seminar that involved the "search for the historical Jesus."
    I was fortunate to attend one of his workshops.  I found him to be a gracious man whose faith shone through all of his work.  I believe that those who most vehemently disagreed with him did not engage his teachings thoroughly enough to understand the nuances.
     It was from Marcus Borg that I came to flippantly say, "I'm not sure I believe in 'belief'."  What I mean by that (and think is in concert with Borg) is the idea of belief as a set of precepts that we need to accept in order to be considered "true" Christians. He tried to move beyond such checklists to a deeper understanding of meaning.  For example (my example, not his): this Sunday, we will read the story of Jonah.  Do I believe that Jonah was swallowed by a whale and lived in its belly until he was spit out uninjured?  No, I really don't.  Do I think there is a worthwhile message for us in Jonah's story?  Absolutely.  That is probably not scandalous--I expect most of us see the Bible as a collection of various types of literature rather than as a science or history text book that is inerrant.
     We may have more difficulty looking at church tradition in the same way as scripture, especially tradition from the patristic period when creeds and doctrines defined an orthodox faith out of the many practices and beliefs that had emerged to help people try to make sense out of Jesus' death and resurrection. It might be more controversial to say that one does not literally "believe" in every word of a creed or doctrine.  In the early centuries, one could be cast out (or killed) as a heretic for such thoughts. 
     His publisher, HarperOne stated that Borg was known for "teaching that a deep understanding of the historical Jesus and the New Testament can lead to a more authentic life--one not rooted in dogma, but spiritual challenge, compassion, community, and justice."  In one of his books that has been important for me, he talks of the pre- and post-Easter Jesus.  The pre-Easter Jesus is the historical man who showed us the way of loving God and neighbor in his teaching, healing, and standing against the domination system.  The post-Easter Jesus is the Christ of tradition-- the one who continued to be present with the disciples and continues to be with us now. 
     He inspired many, especially those who had abandoned a religious tradition that they couldn't accept or that had injured them.  Brian McLaren, another writer and speaker tells of being on a program with Borg in Washington, D.C., and overhearing countless people say to Borg:  "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be a Christian today." "I dropped out of the church but came back after I read one of your books."
    I celebrate his life and his works that I hope will continue to inspire and strengthen many as it has done for me.  "Imagine,' he said in his recent memoirs--possibly as he was facing his own imminent death--  "that Christianity is about loving God.  Imagine that it's not about the self and its concerns, about 'what's in it for me,' whether that be a blessed afterlife or prosperity in this life."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Dream—7/4/21

How I Spent My Christmas Vacation